Search This Blog

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Lotus Notes Webmail on an Android Device

My Android device is the newly released HTC Thunderbolt model. I've had it for about a week and I wanted to know whether or not I could get to my business webmail running off of Lotus Notes using the Android.

I have two browsers on my phone. One is the default and the other is the freely downloadable Dolphin browser. The difference in the two is that the Dolphin pushes out some commercial info bars. A nuisance but not painful.

I sat with the Lotus administrator at work and he directed me to the webmail url that the company uses. The first attempt resulted in Lotus opening up into its PC screen mode - wholly untenable on the Thunderbolt.

So the administrator found an "ultralight" skin setting for webmail. He enabled it on my account and we tried again. This time we got a beautiful mobile device skin that worked flawlessly on both devices. I could open the webmail listings, click on them, and read the content. So far so good.

Next I tested webmail attachments. I created three documents. One .txt. Another .rtf. and the last a .docx document.

Both browsers opened the .txt document without a problem.

The default android browser on the Thunderbolt locked up at a screen that said it needed to downlod the .rtf and docx documents. It just hung.

On the other hand the Dolphin browser downloads the .rtf and docx documents and opened them without incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment